Sunday, January 13, 2013

Settling In

Once we landed and got our boxes figured out we discovered we were missing a bag. The black one, the one that mom and I packed right before leaving.  The one with the xbox and last minute good stuffing.  It ended up being tracked into San Fransisco and we received it a couple of days later... The airport in Dammam was a little scary..Just so different. There were lines and lines of phillipino men and women and several other expat families.  The airport was dirty and you know me it smelled weird.  I am so sensitive to smells.  Once guy we met a couple of days later said he told his boys to pee on themselves instead of using the toilets in the airport... He was joking, I think.   We waited for a couple of hours to get through customs and then our bags and then taxi... There were 10 men at least following us around trying to take care of our boxes.. Aramco didn't have taxi's for us and so Rusty (our newest and best friend and his son) were waiting for us.  His son departed the next day for BYU Idaho.  There was a really large Saudi man dressed in his traditional clothing that was kind and helped us as well. Tim ran around like crazy and the kids and I stayed close and finally all got in Rustys car.  Tim rode with the taxi driver... We arrived at our new home around 1:00am. 810A 8th Street.  It was clean and there was plenty of bedding. Really the next couple of days are a blurr to me.  I know Tim unloaded and went and got us a rental car.  The house was furnished with furniture, desks, tables and chairs, pots and pans, towels.  The Relief Society had stocked our fridge and freezer with meals and people showed up daily to say hello and drop off more meals and flowers.  We felt very loved and welcomed by the Branch.  It was a humbling amazing experience....I felt my Heavenly Fathers love and concern for our family during these first few days. Laken was struggling in Utah and we spent much of our time worrying about him and praying for him. He was sick physically but he finally found out "that he loved us" I think he always knew it but he said he didn't realize how much until now. He is now doing better and we are so blessed to be able to face time with him and text.  What an amazing blessing! I am truly full of gratitude and amazement for the all encompassing love our Heavenly Father has for his children.  I am so blessed to be a part of the restored gospel. I know its true and I love it.

2 comments:

  1. Exciting I hope the adventure continues and you are all able to enjoy the experiance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bill. Good to hear from you... I am sure there will be ups and downs, good and bad. Hopefully all within my ability to cope zone :) Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete